Instructions on Exploring Ruunaa Hiking Area
MOBILE PHONE COVERAGE
EQUIPMENT AND SAFETY
- After the spring floods, the water level usually falls slowly during the summer.
- Snow and ice cover Ruunaa Rapids from November until May.
- During the winter, the ice on the river may be fragile because of currents. The currents may also shift to different places.
- The road to the parking area of Neitikoski is ploughed in the winter. The road 5224 to Ruunaa can be in a bad condition in the spring.
- Ruunaa is one of the most popular hiking destinations in Finland, especially in July and August.
- Fishermen usually arrive at Ruunaa in mid-April when the ice on the rapids is melting. For many people, the beginning of the fishing season is the first weekend of May, when fish planting also starts. The actual peak season for fishing is between the Midsummer festival (around the 24th June) and mid-August.